Saturday 20 July 2013

Trayvon and Zimmerman two worlds apart...

Oh sweet Florida my home my Friend
A host of choice, a port of hope
Oh sweet Florida, A home for heroes 
A mansion of dreams, a place to love

your blue seas, white sands and shores of gold
Your palm trees to the wind do bow
Oh sweet Florida, oh Sweet Florida
of thee I sing

I feel your comfort, I feel your love though my skin be tanned, my hair be curled
my eyes jet black, my voice suave
of comfort of fairness a promise from you
of my race, not a question for equality we bought

I feel your riches, I smell your wine
of hardwork and oppurtunity a slice I have
now to protect your shores and my hard earned riches
To thy streets I hurl myself my sword

I should take a walk, I should feel your sweetness
I get some candy and smell the rain
Oh sweet Florida, of thee I sing
Oh sweet Florida, oh sweet Florida

I see a threat, a hood and swagger an enemy I tell
should I draw my sword and challenge this foe, or dog his steps then cut him down
he is armed all right, with a deadly hood and a black skin
to no good he is aimed, oh Florida thy shores I protect

I have a Shadow, a sickening feeling
I have been perceived to be a threat
my race, my colour questioned again
oh sweet Florida this tainted freedom please abolish

He slows his steps, why should he
he is a foe now I see 
he must assume the position
or my steel would drive my challenge and question

I should walk faster and shake this shadow
of fear and anger I feel arising
Oh Florida oh Florida, of thee I sing
I would stand my ground and declare myself

Halt thy steps and declare thyself
to no good I perceive you to be
you would stand with me
till the sheriff does arrive 

Why should I be held to ransom 
on these lovely shores of mine and thou
No, my freedom I must protect and declare
of this, not an inch would I give

He does resist then my sword would speak
a blemish he is to these shores of ours
Now he is down his blood abroad, a closer look I take to see
a foe alright he is to us and has been for all of 17 years

Oh Florida, oh Florida I lie mortally wounded, for once again my skin belies me
now from me gushes my youth, my virtue my soul with the rain does mingle
oh Florida, oh Florida of thee I sing
I lie here spent, my future taken 

Could I have waited 
the sheriff would come
but then i did what I did to protect myself
after-all a hood and black skin he had on him

I go now quiet, for I must 
for my body lies broken and spent beneath your sky
of justice and freedom I beg again
though I know it shall never be mine

Go on now young foe
I have a story to tell for us both
in the grave you can but rest
your colour on earth brought you non of that

Oh I wish my mother to see for just a moment ere I go 
the silence is come, the night beckons 
my heart flutters my breadth is stilled
goodbye Florida of thee I sing

No comments:

Post a Comment